2 Ripe, firm Coconuts
250 gms Jaggery
60 gms Urad Dal
60 gms Rice Powder
2 pinches Cardamom Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
Oil to deep fry
- Soak urad dal in water and set aside.
- Grate coconut finely.
- Place jaggery in a heavy bottomed vessel, add water till it is just covered and heat on a low flame till the raw smell goes.
- Test by pouring a few drops in a small bowl of water--if it forms a firm ball, the jaggery is cooked.
- Add the grated coconut and stir well.
- Remove from fire when when the mixture begins to turn greasy.
- Cool and shape into small balls.
- Drain water from the soaked dal and grind to a fine paste.
- Add the salt and rice powder and mix well.
- Heat oil in a deep vessel.
- Dip the coconut balls in this paste, make sure that all sides are coated evenly and deep-fry six-eight at a time till golden-red.
- Adjust the consistency of the batter so that the coating s neither too thick not too thin.
- Add more rice powder if you want crisper Sukiyans.